How to Adopt
Adopt a Pet from the Oregon Humane Society
New Adoption Process
During this time, our shelter is closed to public viewing. Adoptions are available by appointment only. We will call you as soon as your questionnaire is next in our queue. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we find homes for pets as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you get an appointment to meet with a pet, you will have to wear a mask while inside the OHS shelter.
How to adopt:
- Pet profiles are available on our Adopt page. Look through the profiles to see what pet you are interested in adopting.
- At the end of each pet’s profile, you will see a link to a questionnaire for that pet.
- Click the link to fill out an online questionnaire for that pet and submit it to OHS.
- From there, our Adoption team will give you a call to discuss the pet’s specific needs and whether the pet will be a good fit for your lifestyle. You can expect to hear back from us within 24-72 hours of your questionnaire submission.
- Please add [email protected] to your address book to ensure you don’t miss any important communications from us. If you are a Gmail or Comcast user, please be sure to check your spam/junk folders.
- For your convenience, we are also offering contactless adoptions for eligible pets. You will still get a full phone consult for the pet, but you will not have to enter the shelter to pick it up. All payment will be taken over the phone. If this is something you are interested in, please note it at the bottom of your adoption questionnaire.
- If you are ready to move forward with the adoption, an appointment will be set up for you to meet with the pet.
- As soon as your appointment is made, the pet will be considered on hold for you.
Some other things to keep in mind:
- We will only be calling clients once and will not be leaving voicemails for call back due to limited staffing. Please make sure your phone is on. You can expect us to be calling from (503) 285-7722.
- You will only be able to meet with one pet during your appointment to minimize the amount of in-person contact with staff. You will have to wear a mask while meeting with the pet. We are trying to limit in-person meet and greets to 20 minutes or less, when possible, which is why you will experience all adoption counseling via phone and/or email. Adoption counselors will be as creative as possible to allow potential adopters to have a full understanding of that pet prior to coming to the shelter.
- Our shelter hours are being modified to 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week.
Main Phone Line: (503) 285-7722 (10 am – 6 pm)
Admissions: (503) 285-7722 x 212
Customer Care: (503) 285-7722 x 254
Donations: (503) 802-6793
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Please send us a message.
Be More Humane
Thank you for wanting to adopt a pet from the Oregon Humane Society. At OHS, we imagine a place where kindness and love prevail. A society in which all beings have a place, a purpose, and a sense of belonging. We are on a mission to create this society, a more humane society, and we need your help. Find out how you can be more humane.