Donate Your Car
Autos for Animals
Fast! Easy! Free Pickup! OHS is able to sell donated vehicles with great efficiency to provide over $500,000 annually to care for animals in need through our Autos for Animals program.
Thank you for considering a vehicle donation to the Oregon Humane Society. Take a look at what some of our donors have said:
“Very easy process. I didn’t have to fix up my car to get it ready to sell or deal with any haggling! Perfect for the lazy animal lover.”
“Very surprised at how easy it was. I’ve been posting about it on Facebook, I’m telling strangers and friends!”
For assistance with a vehicle donation, please contact:
(503) 802-6793 direct
(503) 285-0838 FAX
In June 2013, a 1996 Honda Accord was donated to the Oregon Humane Society. At this time, the funds received from the vehicle sale were enough to transfer 31 animals to OHS from overcrowded shelters. Then, in 2019, the Accord was donated again! With its second donation, the sale proceeds were enough to vaccinate 205 puppies in our shelter. Donated twice to help shelter animals find their forever homes, this Honda Accord is truly the little coupe that could.
Auto Donation Form
Frequently Asked Questions
- It's fast and easy.
- You will feel good knowing your donated vehicle will directly help the animals in your community and throughout the region. It will allow OHS to provide care and new homes to pets in need; keep our humane officers in the field investigating neglect and abuse; and support other OHS programs. Your gift helps keep our doors open to all who need our services.
- Your gift is being used efficiently. Because we manage this program ourselves, there are no "middleman expenses." Therefore, a very high percentage of your vehicle's sale price - typically 80% - goes to OHS. The "expense" portion reimburses our company partners for towing costs, providing auction services and processing DMV paperwork.
- Because OHS is not affiliated with any other local or national animal welfare organizations, OHS relies on the generosity of people like you to sustain this shelter and its programs.
- Our Autos for Animals program operates in full compliance with Oregon DMV and Federal IRS rules.
The Autos for Animals program accepts donated cars, trucks, camper trailers, tractors, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, RVs, boats, jet skis, and even planes.
Running and non-running vehicles are happily accepted and pick-up of your vehicle is free. Camper/travel trailers and boats are accepted based on condition. The better the condition of the vehicle, the easier it is to sell it for a good price at auction and more money comes back to the shelter to care for the animals. If you have questions about a specific vehicle, please contact Nicole Lutton at (503) 802-6793 or email.
It's easy and convenient:
- Call us or fill out the online form.
- Our partner towing company will contact you to set up a pick-up time, if needed.
They will pick up the title, consignment form, keys and vehicle.
- OHS will notify the DMV and send a donation acknowledgment to you.
- Auctions are held weekly. Specialty or high-value vehicles chosen for the retail lot may
take a little longer to sell.*
- Once the vehicle sells, an official tax receipt is mailed to you acknowledging your charitable deduction.
*All vehicles donated to OHS are consigned to a licensed vehicle dealer. The dealer determines whether the vehicle will sell best at an open-to-the-public auction or retail lot.
If you supply complete VIN and plate numbers, OHS will notify the DMV (for Oregon registered vehicles) that your vehicle has been donated. Once your vehicle has been sold, the Oregon DMV is notified who purchased the vehicle.
We recommend that you contact the DMV to let them know the vehicle was donated if the vehicle is titled in a state other than Oregon.
If you are donating a boat, it is recommended that you contact the State Marine Board to notify them you have donated your vessel to OHS.
Vehicles registered in Oregon and Washington may be donated without the title. Vehicles registered in states other than Oregon and Washington, however, are not accepted without their titles.
The IRS allows for vehicles with a value of less than $500 to be claimed for the fair market value. Higher value vehicles are claimed for the sales price.
Immediately after receiving your donated vehicle, OHS will mail an acknowledgement letter providing proof that you donated your vehicle to the Oregon Humane Society, an eligible 501(c)3 charitable organization.
After the vehicle sells, a tax-receipt will be mailed to you stating the amount for which the vehicle was sold. Typically we are able to notify you of the sale of your vehicle within 45 days. Classic or high-end vehicles could take longer. If you want to claim a charitable deduction for a vehicle that sells for more than $500, we will need your social security number so that an IRS tax form 1098-C can be issued. For additional guidance on vehicle donations, visit www.irs.gov and see publication 4303.
You will need to sign the title before we can accept the vehicle. In Oregon there are several versions of vehicle titles.
DO NOT sign where it says, "... security interest holder or lessor releasing all interest."
DO sign under "seller's printed name" or "signature of owner releasing interest/certifying odometer reading."
All parties listed on the title need to sign off on the title before OHS can accept the vehicle.
If you would like to buy a donated vehicle, check out Speed’s Auto Auction.
Absolutely! By dropping your vehicle off directly with our auction partner, your vehicle donation helps more animals by removing the towing fee. Contact Nicole Lutton at (503) 802-6793 to learn how to drop off your vehicle directly.