Donations of supplies help keep the shelter running and lower overhead costs. If you prefer to donate money, OHS can double or even triple individual buying power by buying in bulk.
Amazon Wish List
To purchase needed supplies that help animals in our shelter and community, visit OHS’ Wish List on Amazon.com.
You can also choose OHS as your charity of choice for Amazon Smile!
OHS is happy to accept new and gently used pet goods at our shelters in NE Portland and in SE Salem. You can drop off your donated goods from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily by coming into the lobby at our main entrance.
In general, OHS can accept most brand new or gently used pet items, such as new and open pet food (in original packaging only), leashes and collars, bowls, toys, clean litter boxes, and more.
We are unable to accept the following items:
- Rabbit related donations due to the emergence of the RHD virus in Oregon.
- Any human bedding (blankets, comforters, bed sheets, pillows, etc.)
- Large dog beds that won’t fit in standard washing machines
- Cat trees
- Prescription medications (we do, however, accept insulin)
- Pet food that isn’t in original package
- Dog houses (we do accept Igloo dog houses)
- Frozen or Freeze Dried food and meat
- Choke collars or shock collars
- Flexi-lead retractable leashes
- Yard stakes and tie-outs
- Pillows, mattresses and carpet
- Human clothes (shirts, pants, sweaters, etc.), including fur coats
OHS Portland Campus also has a pet supply store in the shelter lobby called Best Friends’ Corner. Here, you can purchase a variety of toys, treats, food and other supplies for pets. Not only do the proceeds of sales benefit the animals, but you can donate the items right back to the shelter—no travel or shipping needed!