Donations of supplies help keep the shelter running and lower overhead costs. If you prefer to donate money, OHS can double or even triple individual buying power by buying in bulk. You can make an online donation here.
- Wet/canned cat and kitten food, especially strong-smelling types like Tiki Cat
- Kitten formula (KMR) and nursing bottles
- Puppy pads (for potty-training)
- Veterinary special diet foods for both cats and dogs (e.g. Royal Canin Hypoallergenic)
- Dog toys (puzzle toys, KONG-type chew toys especially)
- Dog treats (for small to medium-sized dogs)
- Wet/canned cat and kitten food (see brands below)
- XL dog crates
OHS is happy to accept donations of items at our shelter in NE Portland. Find directions and hours here. Visit the front desk in our main lobby, where staff can assist you and provide a donation receipt.
In general, OHS can accept either brand new or gently used items – see below for more details.
OHS also has a pet supply store in our shelter lobby called Best Friends’ Corner. Here, you can purchase a variety of toys, treats, food and other supplies for pets. Not only do the proceeds of sales benefit the animals, but you can donate the items right back to the shelter—no travel or shipping needed!
New/in package or gently used both accepted.
- Small, medium and large bird toys
- Hard rubber dog chew toys (KONG or similar brands)
- Rodent chew toys/baby toys
- Cat toys, especially wand toys
- Rabbit toys (hard plastic toys like baby rattles, bird toys with bells inside, etc.)
OHS can accept both unopened bags and opened bags of dry food, but please ensure food is in its original bag or container.
- We accept high-quality brands of food like Canidae/Felidae, Castor & Pollux, Eukanuba, Innova, Natural Balance, Newman’s Own, Nutro, Pinnacle, Purina Select/Purina One, Royal Canin, Tiki Cat, and Wellness.
- OHS has a number of cats who aren’t eating well and need to be enticed with generic dry cat food. Once they’re feeling better they will graduate to a healthier diet, but low-cost dry food helps get them started. This includes most low-cost brands of cat food you can find at grocery stores or in bulk quantities.
- Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer
- KMR Kitten Milk Replacer
- Rodent mix food
- Stainless steel food bowls
- Ceramic crock bowls for small animals
- Kuranda Beds (can be donated to OHS through the Kuranda website)
- New flat dog collars (NOT flea collars)
- New Nylon or leather leashes
- “Good Mews” cat litter
- Kitten-size litter boxes (small)
- Vari-kennels (large and x-large)
- Clippers and blades
- Nail clippers (cat/dog)
- Flea combs
- Heating pads
- Postal scales to weigh kittens
- Advantage, ADVANTIX, or Frontline flea control
- Notes about donated medications—
Due to cost of labor to organize, inventory, inspect and store medications that are donated we limit the medications we will accept from the public to the following:
- Topical and oral flea medication
- Topical ointments and drops (eye, ear, skin, etc.)
- Medicated shampoos and dermatological supplements (topical)
- Petzl AM’D Screwgate Carabiner
- More items on our Amazon Wish List »
Even if you do not purchase through Amazon, find more specific examples of needed items here.
- Natural Balance®, Blue Wilderness, Red Barn Dog Food Rolls – any flavor
- Adaptil (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Spray Bottles and Collars
- “Rescue Remedy” by Bach Flower
- Freedom No-Pull Harnesses, all sizes
- Dog training food tubes
- Feliway calming spray for cats
- Halti brand head collars for dogs (sizes 2 and 3)
- Automobile battery charger
- Digital cameras and memory cards
- EZ-up canopies for outdoor adoption events
- High quality color laser printers (desktop-sized)
- Laptop or desktop computers less than three years old
- Flat-screen monitors – at least 20″ (LCD/LED)
- USB Flash Drives – 1 GB or larger
- Inventory scanner – Janam Inventory Scanner #3860 (compatible with New West Technologies)
- Surface Pro tablet (Windows)
- Blizzard fleece (med. weight) min. 29×44″ or gift certificate to JoAnn Fabrics
- Plain brown bags (4 lb.-70 lb. available at Costco or Cash & Carry)
- Food storage 1-gallon plastic baggies (with twist ties)
- Sandwich-sized Ziplock baggies
- Work gloves
- New animal-themed collectibles (small items to be sold in Best Friends’ Corner to raise funds for the shelter: porcelain plates, jewelry, small art prints, etc.)
- Batteries: AA, AAA and 9V
- Dry erase markers