Youth Volunteers (12-17)
OHS Youth Volunteer Program
OHS offers youth volunteer programs for ages 12-17. Below you will find information on both short-term and long-term opportunities.
One Time Animal Socialization
Two-hour visit consisting of a training presentation and shelter tour followed by socializing cats and dogs. Please see the group volunteer page for information about scheduling groups of youth for a visit.
Helping From Home
Youths interested in doing volunteer work from home can help in the following:
- Organize a fundraising/donation drive and donate money/supplies to OHS. See our Wish List for needed supplies.
- Make healthy treats for our shelter pets using these recipes. Download our treat recipes here.
Youths can bring in donations whenever the shelter is open. Thank you for helping our pets!
- Walk dogs of all sizes and temperaments
- Socializing animals (petting and spending time with them)
- Bathing and grooming animals
- Basic training
- Cleaning animal areas (scooping poop and cleaning litter boxes)
- Help with other shelter cleaning
- Help with a variety of other shelter jobs
- Must make a six-month commitment
- Attend a regularly scheduled shift
- Have an interest in socializing and caring for shelter dogs, cats, and rodents
- Must be 12 to 17 years old (no exceptions)
- Have current medical insurance (no exceptions)
- Purchase volunteer supplies totaling $33 (details here). However, if you are financially unable to cover the cost, please let us know and we can find a way to help
- Be willing to spend a great deal of time walking dogs.
- Be able to squat, twist, bend, lift and/or stand for long periods of time and be able to tolerate frequent loud, chaotic, and crowded environments
- Be able to comprehend and follow instructions, adhere to shelter policies, procedures and protocol, and be able to think and act quickly to ensure volunteer, animal and public safety
- Be responsible, respectful, hard-working and self-directed under limited supervision and be willing to work as a part of a cohesive team of Youth Volunteers
- Attend a three-hour orientation
When Can I Volunteer?
Volunteers are assigned a regularly scheduled two-hour shift that they attend every two weeks. Shifts are offered from 4-6pm Wednesday-Sunday with an additional 10-Noon option on weekends. Available shifts will be posted on this page during our open application process only.
How Do I Apply?
The Youth Volunteer Program is not accepting applications at this time. Please check back for more opportunities in the future.
OHS Youth Volunteer Portal
Current youth volunteers can log in to the Volunteer Portal to view their schedule, schedule classes, view or print a report of hours, and/or update your volunteer profile.
For further questions, please contact the Youth and Community Group Volunteer Department at (503) 416-5032 or by email.