Youth Volunteers (12-17)
OHS Youth Volunteer Program
OHS offers youth volunteer programs for ages 12-17. Below you will find information on both short-term and long-term opportunities.
Short-Term Animal Socialization
December youth volunteer opportunities available! Sign up here.
What: 2-hour visit consisting of a training presentation and shelter tour followed by socializing cats and dogs.
- Individual youth, who are not part of a group, that are 12-17 years of age (Please see the group volunteer page for information about scheduling group’s of youth for a visit)
- Squat, twist, bend, lift and/or stand for long periods of time
- Tolerate frequent loud, chaotic, and crowded environments
- Comprehend and follow instructions, adhere to shelter policies, procedures and protocol, and be able to think and act quickly to ensure volunteer, animal and public safety
- Be responsible, respectful, hard-working and self-directed under limited supervision
When: Dates and times vary but typically we are able to offer two sessions a month. You are able to pick whichever session best fits your schedule.
Can I volunteer more than once? Due to overwhelming demand, we have a limited number of spots available. Youth are limited to one visit every three months.
Have a group of 4 or more? Instead of signing up for a short-term youth volunteer opportunity, please fill out a group volunteer request form.
How do I sign up? To sign up, please see above for availability. Click here to sign up for December youth volunteer opportunities. A sign up link will be available on the 15th of every month. If the 15th is on a weekend, the sign up link will be available on Monday. (If you do not see a link, the available sessions are filled.) If you have questions please email the Youth Volunteer Department.
Helping From Home
Youths interested in doing volunteer work from home can help in the following:
- Organize a fundraising/donation drive and donate money/supplies to OHS. See our Wish List for needed supplies.
- Make healthy treats for our shelter pets using these recipes. Download our treat recipes here.
Youths can bring in donations whenever the shelter is open. Thank you for helping our pets!
We currently are not accepting applications to our long term-program. Once we have availability we will open the application process here.
- Walk dogs of all sizes and temperaments
- Socializing animals (petting and spending time with them)
- Bathing and grooming animals
- Basic training
- Cleaning animal areas (scooping poop and cleaning litter boxes)
- Help with other shelter cleaning
- Help with a variety of other shelter jobs
- Must make a six-month commitment
- Attend a regularly scheduled shift
- Have an interest in socializing and caring for shelter dogs, cats, and rodents
- Must be 12 to 17 years old (no exceptions)
- Have current medical insurance (no exceptions)
- Purchase volunteer supplies totaling $33 (details here). However, if you are financially unable to cover the cost, please let us know and we can find a way to help
- Be willing to spend a great deal of time walking dogs.
- Be able to squat, twist, bend, lift and/or stand for long periods of time and be able to tolerate frequent loud, chaotic, and crowded environments
- Be able to comprehend and follow instructions, adhere to shelter policies, procedures and protocol, and be able to think and act quickly to ensure volunteer, animal and public safety
- Be responsible, respectful, hard-working and self-directed under limited supervision and be willing to work as a part of a cohesive team of Youth Volunteers
- Attend a three-hour orientation
When Can I Volunteer?
Volunteers are assigned a regularly scheduled two-hour shift that they attend every two weeks. Shifts are offered from 4-6pm Wednesday-Sunday with an additional 10-Noon option on weekends. Available shifts will be posted on this page during our open application process only.
How Do I Apply?
The Youth Volunteer Program is not accepting applications at this time. Please check back this winter for more opportunities.
OHS Youth Volunteer Portal
Current youth volunteers can log in to the Volunteer Portal to view their schedule, schedule classes, view or print a report of hours, and/or update your volunteer profile.
For further questions, please contact the Youth and Community Group Volunteer Department at (503) 416-5032 or by email.