Every Outcome is Important
OHS tracks the status of every pet using a nationally recognized standard. The data provides a detailed breakdown on the health and adoption status of every animal in our care.
Adoptions in 2013: 98% Save Rate
OHS adopted 11,110 animals in 2013, setting new records for the percentage of animals saved (98%) and the number of dogs adopted. Our adoption rate is consistently 3-4 times above the national average. Pets at OHS pets remain available for adoption as long as necessary (sometimes six months or more), and are never euthanized for space reasons.
The OHS save rate of 98% is even more impressive because it includes 4,837 animals transferred to OHS from animal welfare agencies (such as humane societies and animal control agencies) in Oregon, Washington and California. These animals were given a “second chance” at finding a home through OHS when time and resources had run out at their original shelters.
The save rate, calculated according to the nationally recognized Asilomar Standard, reflects the many options for pets that come to the shelter besides adoption, such as animal transfers and animals who are returned to their owner. OHS is confident in its adoption figures because staffers conduct monthly physical inventories and spot audits.
2013 Adoption Reports
Complete adoption statistics for OHS and the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland are found in the following Asilomar reports:
- 2013 OHS Pet Statistics for all animals (pdf)
- 2013 Asilomar Statistics for OHS (pdf)
- 2013 Asilomar Statistics for the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland (pdf)
- Asilomar Stats for the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland 2006-2013 (pdf)
2013 Save Rate Summary
|Total Adopted||Total Saved||Save Rate|
|Dogs: 5,161||Dogs: 5,599||99%|
|Cats: 5,214||Cats: 5,450||98%|
|Small Animals: 735||Small Animals: 764||98%|
|All Animals: 11,110||All Animals: 11,815||98%|
2012 Adoption Reports
- 2012 OHS Pet Adoption Statistics (pdf)
- 2012 Asilomar Statistics for OHS (pdf)
- 2012 Asilmoar Statistics for the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland (pdf)
- Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland Stats 2006-2012 (pdf)