Every Outcome is Important
OHS tracks the status of every pet using a nationally recognized standard. The data provides a detailed breakdown of the health and adoption status of every animal in our care.
Adoptions in 2015: 98% Save Rate
OHS adopted 11,620 animals in 2015, with a 98% save rate. Our adoption rate is consistently 3-4 times above the national average and is one of the highest in the nation. The number of pets adopted in 2015 was the largest since the new OHS shelter building opened in 2000.
Pets at OHS pets remain available for adoption as long as necessary (sometimes six months or more), and are never euthanized for space reasons.
The OHS save rate of 98% is even more impressive because it includes 6,383 animals transferred to OHS from 84 animal welfare agencies (such as humane societies and animal control agencies) in Oregon, Washington, California, Utah and Hawaii. These animals were given a “second chance” at finding a home through OHS when time and resources had run out at their original shelters.
The save rate, calculated according to the nationally recognized Asilomar Standard, reflects the many options for pets that come to the shelter besides adoption, such as animal transfers and animals who are returned to their owner. OHS is confident in its adoption figures because staffers conduct monthly physical inventories and spot audits.
2015 Adoption Reports
- 2015 OHS Pet Adoption Statistics for all animals
- 2015 Asilomar Statistics for OHS
- 2015 Asilomar Statistics for ASAP
- Asilomar Statistics for ASAP: 2006-2015 Comparison
2014 Adoption Reports
Complete adoption statistics for OHS and the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland (ASAP) are found in the following Asilomar reports (all PDF):
- 2014 OHS Pet Adoption Statistics for all animals
- 2014 Asilomar Statistics for OHS
- 2014 Asilomar Statistics for ASAP
- Asilomar Statistics for ASAP: 2006-2014 Comparison
2013 Adoption Reports
- 2013 OHS Pet Adoption Statistics for all animals
- 2013 Asilomar Statistics for OHS
- 2013 Asilomar Statistics for the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland
- Asilomar Stats for the Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland 2006-2013