“I miss seeing you all!” -Vader, education ambassador
OHS Education Department is offering online classroom enrichment
Virtual tour of OHS animal areas
This upbeat video takes you on a walk through our kennels, small animal room, and cattery, pausing at kennels to see our animal friends. You can show this video on you own (we can send you the link), or it can be part of an online visit where we chat with students about OHS before the video and they can ask questions and share comments afterward. (Grades k-5)
Let us share one of our favorite books with your class. We can read and chat with your class virtually or send you a link to a video of one of our staff sharing the book. We have reading and/or writing questions that line up with common core state standards available for each book for use in teacher follow up.
- “Let’s Get A Pup!” said Kate by Bob Graham (Grades k-2)
- “A Home For Dixie” by Emma Jackson (Grades k-2)
- “The Invisible Boy” by Trudy Ludwig (Grades 1-3)
- “Buddy Unchained” by Daisy Bix (Grades 1-4)
- “What Does It Mean To Be Kind?” by Rana DiOrio (Grades 2-5)
- “Two Bobbies” by Kirby Larson & Mary Nethery (Grades 3-5)
Be Safe Around Dogs:
- Dog Safety I: This is a PowerPoint and can be presented either on your own (there is a guide to go along with it), or by us. (Grades k-3)
- Dog Safety II: This PowerPoint teaches students to recognize basic dog body language and learn how to use that knowledge to figure out what a dog is feeling and how he may act. (Grades 4-8)
Feedback from Teachers
“This was wonderful. Barb was a pleasure to talk to, and a great presenter who was very patient with our sometimes rowdy group. The presentations were informative and fun. Our kids gave us positive feedback as well. Thank you!”
“Maddie is a terrific Ambassador for Good Dogs.”
“I appreciated it when the presenter checked in with me to make sure the handouts were leveled correctly for us. I enjoyed watching the presenter answer the children’s questions in such an engaging and interesting way.”
“You guys are wonderful! I have used this service for about five years now! Our year wouldn’t be complete without it.”
“Thank you! We loved having Barb and Maddie visit and I felt that my students learned valuable information about how to be safe around dogs. I think adults would benefit from this, too!”
Schedule a Classroom Presentation
Since 1921, the state of Oregon has required (ORS 336.067) humane education to be added to the school curriculum so students develop an appreciation for all animal life and are taught humane treatment of animals. Through the generosity of OHS donors, this service is provided free of charge to schools.
To schedule classroom presentations, please fill out and submit our Classroom Presentation Request Form below.