In 1918, OHS purchased the 10-acre parcel on Columbia Blvd. from which it now operates. This property is host to the oldest animal cemetery in the West. One of the most notable personalities buried in the cemetery is Bobbie of Silverton.
This collie pup from Oregon went on a 1924 summer vacation with his family and unfortunately ended up lost in Indiana. The family was amazed when the lost dog returned home to Silverton six months later.
The original shelter constructed on Columbia Blvd. was lost a a fire in the late 1930s. A new facility was built in 1939 and housed the shelter's operations for sixty years.
Our new shelter opened in 2000.
Learn about construction details and
the capital campaign in OHS New
Shelter Project 2000 (PDF).
In June 2000, OHS opened the doors to a new state-of-the-art facility that stands on the site of the old shelter. The new shelter has the capacity to house 92 small animals, 120 cats and 120 dogs.
Learn about the capital campaign that raised funds for the new shelter project, budgets, information about the corporate details about the building and other useful data in OHS New Shelter Project 2000 (PDF), prepared by Skanska USA Building.
In September 2007, OHS opened the Animal Medical Learning Center (AMLC) adjacent to the existing shelter. The medical center is a state-of-the-art animal hospital that provides a full-range of medical services for all shelter animals. The new behavior center, open to the public, addresses the main reason why dogs come to shelter: frustrated owners who cannot deal with canine behavior.
We now serve the needs of over 11,500 animals each year. With over 120 staff members and a volunteer force of over 1,400, OHS is dedicated to adopt 100 percent of the animals admitted to the shelter.
Building a community of compassion is our goal - through adoption of homeless pets, animal welfare legislation, humane education, abuse investigation, and community outreach and leadership.