Puppy Manners and Romps
Puppy Training Program On-site at OHS
Socialization and clear boundaries are so important for puppies. OHS offers both Puppy Manners Training class and supplemental Puppy Romps to help you and your puppy build a positive, trusting relationship. Do you have a shy puppy? Check out our new Shy Puppy Training and Socialization Sessions.
Read more about the importance of puppy socialization and early training from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior.
Puppy Manners On-site
In this fun and informative class, you will learn how to set your puppy up for success in your home. You’ll discover how to handle play-biting and potty training and learn how to teach your puppy cues like sit, down, come, and name recognition. In addition, your puppy will have time to safely socialize with other puppies in your class.
Puppies attending should be 9 to 15 weeks old at the start of class. If your dog will be 16 weeks or older when class begins, please sign up for Level 1 of our Manners Training Program instead.
$180 for six weeks of training. The first class is for people only, please leave your puppy at home.
Please limit attendance to 2 people. Please contact us if you need to make an exception or bring your children to class. If you (or anyone in your household) are not feeling well, please stay home.
Your puppy must be:
- Between 9 and 15 weeks of age at the START of class (not at the time you sign you up online).
- Up-to-date on vaccinations. Your puppy must have received at least one round of a distemper/parvo combination vaccine at least seven days prior to starting class. Bordetella vaccine is recommended. Rabies vaccination and spay/neuter are not required since dogs are under 7 months of age.
- Healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
Puppy Romps and Shy Puppy Training and Socialization Sessions – On-site
During our Puppy Romps you can introduce your puppy to other healthy puppies and allow them to run, play and socialize! Along with learning the appropriate way to play with other dogs, exposing your puppy to new dogs when he is young can help prevent behavioral problems as he matures.
During our shy puppy class we will teach you what to do when your puppy is timid, help you read your pups signals and help your puppy get accustomed to other shy puppies in a calmer, controlled setting with expert guidance
Puppy Romps are broken into two age groups. Romp 1 is for puppies 9 – 13 weeks and Romp 2 is for puppies 11 – 18 weeks. Please make sure you attend the appropriate session based on your puppy’s age regardless of your puppy’s size. If your puppy has shown signs of fear or aggression towards other puppies, please contact us prior to attending.
If your puppy age falls in with both classes, and you pup has never been to a romp before, please sign up for Puppy Romp 1.
Shy Puppy Training and Socialization Session is for shy puppies 9-18 weeks of age.
$20 per session.* This fee is non-refundable. Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS.
Please limit attendance to 2 people to attend Romp or Shy Puppy Training and Socialization Session with your dog. Please contact us if you need to make an exception or bring your children to class. If you (or anyone in your household) are not feeling well, please stay home.
Your puppy must be:
- Attending the romp appropriate for their age (i.e.: 9 – 13 weeks; 11 – 18 weeks).
- If your puppy age falls in with both classes, and you pup has never been to a romp before, please sign up for Puppy Romp 1.
- Only attending Shy Puppy Training and Socialization Session if you have a shy puppy 9-18 weeks
- Up-to-date on vaccinations. Your puppy must have received at least one round of a distemper/parvo combination vaccine at least seven days prior to attending Romp. Bordetella vaccine is recommended. Rabies vaccination and spay/neuter are not required since dogs are under 6 months of age.
- Healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of Romp.
Please be sure your puppy is wearing a well-fitted collar or harness and a 4 – 6 foot leash that they can drag during play. Please bring a variety of treats with you as well.
If your puppy is not fully vaccinated, we recommend carrying them from your car into Manners Hall. We clean and disinfect Manners Hall before each Romp, so your puppy can safely play on the floor.
If there is not a “sign up now” button on the widget, then the Romp you are interested in attending is sold out. Please continue to check back for spots to open up, as people tend to cancel at the last minute. Walk-ins are not allowed during this time.
Can’t afford to attend, but have a young puppy that needs socialization? Contact us.
Training and Behavior Department Contact
Call us at (503) 802-6729 or send us a message.