Manners Training Lvls 1-6
Manners Training Program (Levels 1 -6)
During our Manners Training classes at OHS, you’ll learn how to teach your dog basic cues and how to help your dog stay focused on you, even around distractions. We want you to have fun while training your dog! We’ll play games in class and use simple exercises that are easy to replicate at home and on walks. We use real life scenarios so the skills you learn in class can be transferred into your home.
You will learn how to:
- Communicate with your dog using marker training.
- Teach basic cues like sit, down, watch, stay, and wait. Advanced levels will cover leave it, drop it, and go to bed.
- Practice loose-leash walking, recall and polite greetings.
Even if you have training experience or have taken a class before, start with the Level 1 class. This class will give you the necessary tools to move ahead with your training goals. Read more about each level.
Moving on to the next level depends on you and your dog’s individual progress. Each level has criteria that needs to be met in order to move higher. We’ll give you a list of skills to work on during class. If you think it’s time to move to the next level, simply mention it to your instructor. They will help you determine if you and your dog are ready for a more challenging class. You are always welcome to stay at your current level or return to a level below.
Class will be at the Oregon Humane Society in NE Portland. Get directions»
$30 per session or purchase a 4 – 10 class pass ($115 – $250). Instead of signing up for a fixed, six week course, you can now purchase a pass or pay as you go. If using a pass, you may attend one class per day and up to three classes per week. No need to attend class at the same time or day each week.
Price is per dog. Please choose one adult in your household to attend class with your dog. Please contact us if you need to make an exception or bring your children to class. Purchases are non-refundable once your training begins. Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS.
- New clients are required to watch a 45 minute video before attending their first class. This video will cover basic training concepts, as well as how to prepare for your class. Watch the video now!
- Clients must wear a mask/face covering to attend this in-person class. If a member of your household is not feeling well (including your dog), please stay home. Learn more about our new COVID-19 Safety Requirements.
- Dogs must have no known history of aggression towards people or other animals.
- Dogs must be four months or older. If your dog will be between 9 and 15 weeks, please sign up for Puppy Manners instead.
- Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations. Distemper/parvo combination vaccine is required for all dogs. Rabies vaccine is required for dogs over six months. Bordetella vaccine is recommended.
- Dogs over six months must be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
We are keeping a limited waitlist for our Levels Class. If you are on the waitlist for a class, Mindbody will automatically text or email you if a spot opens up.
Manners Training Level 1: Beginner
In this foundation level class, you will learn how to use marker training to clearly communicate with your dog. You’ll learn how to get your dog’s attention and how to use “lure and reward” to teach your dog cues like “sit,” “down,” and “watch.” We’ll also introduce recall, loose-leash walking and settling on a mat. Even if you have training experience or have taken a class before, we ask that everyone start with a Level 1 class. This class will give you the necessary tools to move ahead with your training goals.
Manners Training Level 2: Basics
Level 2 will build on the skills introduced in Level 1. We’ll continue practicing “sit,” “down,” loose-leash walking, recall and settle. Plus, we’ll introduce “stay” and hand targeting.
Manners Training Level 3: Beyond Basics
In our Level 3 class, you’ll continue to build your dog’s reliability and focus around distractions. We’ll keep practicing “stay,” recall, and loose-leash walking. You’ll also start working on “leave it,” and “drop it.”
Manners Training Level 4: Intermediate
Keep advancing in our Level 4 class! In this class, we’ll work on getting your dog to stay around distractions, leave items on the ground, go to bed on cue, and wait at doorways.
Manners Training Level 5: Advanced
During our Level 5 class, you’ll perfect “go to bed,” “drop it,” “leave it” and “wait.” Plus, we’ll keep working on loose-leash walking, recall and stays around increasing distractions.
Manners Training Level 6: Expert
Is your dog ready for some training challenges? During our Level 6 class, we’ll amp up the distractions to see if your dog can reliably respond to verbal cues like “leave it,” “drop it,” and “go to bed.” You’ll get to practice skills you’ve learned throughout the Levels and start working on teaching your dog fun tricks!