Manners Levels 1-4
Manners Training Program
(Levels 1 -4)
If your dog is 4 months or older, start your training at OHS with our Manners Training program. As you progress through the program, you’ll learn how to:
- Communicate with your dog using marker training.
- Teach basic cues like sit, down, watch, stay, and wait. Advanced levels will cover leave it, drop it, and go to bed.
- Practice loose-leash walking, recall and polite greetings.
We want you to have fun while training your dog! We’ll play games in class and use simple exercises that are easy to replicate at home and on walks.
Class will be at the Oregon Humane Society in NE Portland. Get directions»
How it works
You can sign up for classes that fit your schedule and progress at your own pace. Whether you purchase a pass or pay as you go, the choice is yours. No need to attend class at the same time or day each week as you would with a traditional six-week class.
Regardless of your prior training experience, it’s important to watch our 45 minute Intro to Training video before you attend your first class. This video will cover essential training concepts, as well as how to prepare for your class.
After you watch the video, sign up for a Level 1: Basics class. This class provides the foundation to build on as you work toward your training goals. Your dog will attend class with you.
At each level, your instructor will introduce new skills for you and your dog to accomplish prior to advancing to the next level. Your instructor will let you know when you’re ready to graduate to the next level.
You are always welcome to stay at your current level or return to a level below. Each level has a lot of skills for you and your dog to refine. It’s normal and encouraged for clients to stay in the same level of class at least three times before moving on. Repetition and practice is key to success! Read more about each level.
$40 per session or purchase a 4 – 10 class pass ($115 – $250). If using a pass, you may attend one class per day and up to three classes per week.
Price is per dog. Your dog will attend class with you. Please choose one adult in your household to attend class with your dog. Please contact us if you need to make an exception or bring your children to class. Purchases are non-refundable once your training begins. Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS.
- Clients are required to watch a 45 minute video before attending their first class. This video will cover basic training concepts, as well as how to prepare for your class. Watch the video now!
- Clients must wear a mask/face covering to attend this in-person class. If a member of your household is not feeling well (including your dog), please stay home. Learn more about our new COVID-19 Safety Requirements.
- Dogs must have no known history of aggression towards people or other animals.
- Dogs must be four months or older. If your dog will be between 9 and 15 weeks, please sign up for Puppy Manners instead.
- Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations. Distemper/parvo combination vaccine is required for all dogs. Rabies vaccine is required for dogs over six months. Bordetella vaccine is recommended.
- Dogs over six months must be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
We are keeping a limited waitlist for our Levels Class. If you are on a waitlist, be sure to “opt in” for email/text reminders, enabling Mindbody to automatically text or email you when a spot opens up.
Can’t find a class day or time that works for you? Let us know!
Just like a “beginning yoga” class at the gym, you may find that each Level 1 class you attend has slight differences; the instructor may be new to you or the exercises may change. That’s okay! Each class gives you the tools you need to progress. Clients typically repeat a level at least three times before moving on.
Manners Level 1: Basics
In this foundation level class you will learn how to use a marker to clearly communicate with your dog, how to get your dog’s attention and how to use “lure and reward” training to begin teaching your dog cues like “sit,” and “down.” We’ll also introduce recall and loose-leash walking. In this foundation level class you will learn how to use a marker to clearly communicate with your dog, how to get your dog’s attention and how to use “lure and reward” training to begin teaching your dog cues like “sit,” and “down.” We’ll also introduce recall and loose-leash walking. Your dog will attend this class with you. Regardless of previous training experience, we ask that everyone start with a Level 1 class. Be sure to watch our Intro to Training video before you attend your first class.
Manners Level 2: Intermediate
Level 2 will help you and your dog build on the skills introduced in Level 1 and will introduce new skills, such as: “leave it,” “wait,” and use more tools to help your dog with greeting guests politely. Your dog will attend this class with you.
Manners Level 3: Advanced
In Level 3 we will introduce many new useful cues like waiting at doorways, “drop it” and “go to bed.” We will also have some fun with teaching our dog a trick or two! Your dog will attend this class with you.
Manners Level 4: Expert
The focus of this Level is to make everything more challenging by asking for more immediate responses with more distractions present. We will practice calmly passing other dogs at a closer distance and settling by your side in more challenging locations. And we will fine-tune fun tricks that you learned in level 3! Your dog will attend this class with you.