Manners Levels 1-4
Manners Training Program On-site
(Levels 1 -4)
These classes are designed so you and your dog (4 months and older) can learn at your own pace. You make your own schedule from several classes that are offered each week. You can watch this 2 minute video on how these classes work here: Click here
In the 4 levels you will learn:
- Beginning Come when Called
- Focus & Attention Exercises
- Intro to loose leash walking
- Managing Polite Greetings
- Routine Settle
- “Touch” Hand Targeting
- Sit, Down, and Stay
- “Watch” on Cue
- Loose Leash Walking with Increased Focus
- Stay with Increased Distance and Distraction
- Come When Called with Increased Distance
- Intro to Heel with Side Sit and Stay at Side
- Routine Settle and Polite Greetings Continued
- Beginning “leave it”
- Beginning “drop it”
- Calm greeting guests
- “Wait” at the door
- Beginning “go to bed”
- Learning a trick!
- Advanced “leave it”
- Advanced “drop it”
- Stay with advanced distractions
- “Advanced “go to bed” (adding distance and duration)
- Generalizing learned cues to new environments
Since these classes are at your pace and at the time you desire, you may have different instructors and classmates. That’s okay, your dog will be exposed to more experiences and learning opportunities! Each class gives you the tools you and your dog need to progress. Clients typically attend a level at least three times before moving on.
Your dog will attend levels classes with you but be sure to attend our Intro to training video before you attend your first class
We want you to have fun while training your dog! We’ll play games in class and use simple exercises that are easy to replicate at home and on walks.
Class will be at the Oregon Humane Society in NE Portland. Get directions»
How it works
- You can watch this 2 minute video on how these classes work here: Click here
- We have 4 levels of classes and everyone starts at level 1
- Purchase a pass which best suits your needs (one visit to try it out or a value pack to jump right in – if using a pass, you may attend one class per day and up to three classes per week)
- You can purchase a class pass for 4, 6 or 10 classes, or pay as you go, the choice is yours. No need to attend class at the same time or day each week as you would with a traditional six-week class.
- Starting at level 1, choose from our calendar which level 1 classes you would like to attend and sign up. We recommend you attend at least three or more classes at each level and your trainer will help you decide when it’s time to move up to the next level.
- New skills are introduced at each level but you are always welcome to stay at your current level, or attend classes at a lower level to practice around new people and dogs. Repetition is the key to success! Read more about each level.
How to start
Regardless of your prior training experience, it’s important to watch our 45 minute Intro to Training video before you attend your first class. This video will cover essential training concepts, as well as how to prepare for your class.
After you watch the video, read our class requirements, decide which package of classes you would like to purchase and sign up for a Level 1: Basics class. This class provides the foundation to build on as you work toward your training goals. Your dog will attend class with you. View our schedule and sign up now!
Single Manners Training Class – $40
Manners Training Class Pass 4 Classes – $115
($28.75 a class)
Manners Training Class Pass 6 Classes – $165
($27.50 a class)
Manners Training Class Pass 10 Classes – $250
($25 a class)
If using a pass, you may attend one class per day and up to three classes per week.
Price is per dog. Your dog will attend class with you. Please choose one adult in your household to attend class with your dog. Please contact us if you need to make an exception or bring your children to class. Purchases are non-refundable once your training begins.
Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS.
- Clients are required to watch a 45 minute video before attending their first class. This video will cover basic training concepts, as well as how to prepare for your class. Watch the video now!
- Clients must wear a mask/face covering to attend this in-person class. If a member of your household is not feeling well (including your dog), please stay home. Learn more about our new COVID-19 Safety Requirements.
- Dogs must have no known history of aggression towards people or other animals.
- Dogs must be four months or older. If your dog will be between 9 and 15 weeks, please sign up for Puppy Manners instead.
- Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations. Distemper/parvo combination vaccine is required for all dogs. Rabies vaccine is required for dogs over six months. Bordetella vaccine is recommended.
- Dogs over six months must be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
Can’t find a class day or time that works for you? Let us know!
Does your dog bark, whine, pull or stop responding to you when you see a dog at a distance? These classes may be a better fit for you and your dog: Reactive Rover, a virtual training class, or try one-on-one training instead.
Training and Behavior Department Contact
Call us at (503) 802-6729 or send us a message.