Therapy Dog Hands-On Training Class
Therapy Dog Training Class
Dogs that visit hospitals, schools, and libraries to share comfort and affection are called “therapy dogs.” OHS offers a training program to prepare individuals and their animals to become registered animal-assisted therapy teams with the national organization Pet Partners.
This class is geared for those who would like more hands-on training with their dog prior to taking the Pet Partners Team Evaluation. You and your dog will work on the skills you need to be a successful therapy team. One class will involve a trip to the Portland International Airport for guided practice in the real world.
Even if you are not interested in the Pet Partners volunteer program, the skills learned in this class will help you strengthen your relationship with your dog so you can navigate our community together.
This class is optional, but you must take the Pet Partners Handler’s Course prior to taking the Pet Partners Team Evaluation. View our Pet Partners training and evaluation schedule.
Please note: this class is not service dog training. Service dogs are trained to perform tasks for one person with a specific disability. Learn more about the difference between service dogs, therapy dogs and emotional support dogs.
Oregon Humane Society – Manners Hall
1067 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97211 Get directions»
Manners Hall is in the Animal Medical Learning Center.
$115 for four weeks of training. Dogs attend all four weeks.
Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS. Thank you!
- Your dog must be people and dog friendly.
- Dogs must have completed a Basic Manners class before taking this class. Dogs should know how to sit, lay down, stay, come, leave it, and be able to walk on a loose leash. They should be able to focus on you around distractions and other dogs.
- We strongly recommend completing an intermediate level class – like Beyond the Basics or CGC Prep – before taking this class.
- 1 year of age and older (highly recommended!)
- Spayed or neutered.
- Up-to-date on vaccinations – Da2pp and Rabies required, Bordetella recommended.
- Dogs should be free of any symptoms of illness: no coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
Register for Class
Sundays, February 3 – February 24, 2019, 3:30 – 4:30 pm Sign up now!
Want to sign up for the Pet Partners Handler’s Course too? View our schedule.
Interested in being notified when our next class is scheduled? Let us know!