Canine Good Citizen
Canine Good Citizen Training Program
This specialized dog training program is designed to help you and your canine companion pass the American Kennel Club’s widely recognized certification – the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. This is also a great option if you feel like your dog needs a bit more training before starting the Pet Partners (therapy dog) program. We offer a group training prep class and a private training option – each designed to help you prepare for the CGC Test.
Please note: this program is not service dog training. Service dogs are trained to perform tasks for one person with a specific disability. For information about service dogs, visit Canine Companions for Independence or Assistance Dogs International.
Oregon Humane Society – Manners Hall
1067 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97211 Get directions»
Manners Hall is in the Animal Medical Learning Center.
Prep Class Requirements
- Dogs must be people and dog friendly.
- Dogs must have taken Basic Manners, Little Learners or Adolescent Manners prior to attending. Dogs should already know how to sit, lay down, stay, watch, and be familiar with loose-leash walking.
- Dogs must be at least six months of age. We strongly recommend you wait to take this class until your dog is one year or older.
- Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations. Distemper/parvo combination vaccine is required for all dogs. Rabies vaccine is required for dogs over six months. Bordetella vaccine is recommended.
- Dogs over six months must be spayed or neutered. Intact animals may attend one-on-one training instead (see option 2 below).
- Dogs must be healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
Option 1: Canine Good Citizen Prep Class – $165.
Mondays, September 9 – October 14, 2019, 7:45 – 8:45 pm Sign up now!
Your registration fee includes a five-week group training class and one opportunity to take the CGC test. Dogs attend all classes. You will work on skills to help your dog become a model citizen in the community. Some of these behaviors include building confidence with new people, staying in distracting environments, being able to walk calmly by a neutral dog, and walking on a loose leash while focusing on you. This is our recommend option, especially if your dog needs more training before they’re ready for the Pet Partners (therapy dog) program.
Interested in being notified when our next group class is scheduled? Let us know!
Option 2: CGC Private Prep Consultation and Test – $90.
Your registration fee includes one private training consultation and one opportunity to take the CGC Test. In the consultation, we will cover the necessary skills you need to pass the test, give you tips on how to practice, and work on any areas your dog may need help with. Private consultations typically last one hour and must be completed at least one week in advance of your scheduled test. This is a great option if you know your dog already has the skills to be a good citizen out in the world.
If you can’t find an appointment time that works for you, contact us.
Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS. Thank you!