Basic Manners Classes
In our Basic Manners class, we not only help you and your dog learn the basics, but help your dog listen to cues around distractions. We use real life scenarios so the skills you learn in class can easily be transferred into your home.
During this six week class, you’ll discover how to:
- Teach your dog basic cues like sit, down, stay and come.
- Practice loose leash walking – even around other dogs, people, toys and other distractions.
- Get your dog to focus on you – especially when you really need it.
Dogs attending should be 4 months or older at the start of class. If your dog will be between 9 and 15 weeks when class begins, please sign up for Puppy Manners instead.
Does your dog bark, whine, pull and stop responding to you even when you just see a dog at a distance? Consider our Reactive Rover Class, or contact us to help determine whether Basic Manners is appropriate for your dog.
Oregon Humane Society – Manners Hall
1067 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97211 Get directions»
Manners Hall is in the Animal Medical Learning Center.
$165 for six weeks of training. The first class is an informational session for people only. Dogs attend the next five weeks.
Proceeds from registration fees support the animals and programs at OHS.
- Dogs must have no known history of aggression towards people or other animals.
- Dogs must be four months or older. Under four months? Check out our Puppy Manners class!
- Dogs must be up-to-date on vaccinations. Distemper/parvo combination vaccine is required for all dogs. Rabies vaccine is required for dogs over six months. Bordetella vaccine is recommended.
- Dogs over six months must be spayed or neutered.
- Dogs must be healthy and free of any symptoms of illness. No coughing, sneezing, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. within 24 hours of class.
Register for Class
Mondays, November 25, 2019 – January 13, 2020, 11:15 am – 12:15 pm (no class Dec 23 and Dec 30) Sold out. Get on our waitlist!
Thursdays, December 5, 2019 – January 16, 2020, 7:30 – 8:30 pm (no class Dec 26) Sign up now!
Saturdays, December 7, 2019 – January 18, 2020, 11 am – 12 pm (no class Dec 28) Sold out. Get on our waitlist!
Sundays, December 8, 2019 – January 19, 2020, 2 – 3 pm (no class Dec 29) Sold out. Get on our waitlist!
Looking for a class just for small dogs? Try Little Learners!
Interested in being notified when our next classes are scheduled? Let us know!