Doggie Dash Event Information
Here's everything you need to know about Doggie Dash, including the event location, when to arrive, parking, and more.
What information are you looking for? Click a bullet point to jump to a section.
- Location & Registration
- Starting Times & Routes
- Parking & Traffic
- Event Rules for Dogs
Location & Registration
May 12, 2018 | Tom McCall Waterfront Park
Register online. It’s free! Check back soon for online registration.
You can register on-site at the Dash (for a fee) until 8:30 am on May 12. The registration tent is located in the park by the intersection of SW Naito Parkway and SW Pine St. (near the Oregon Maritime Museum).
What’s new this year?
- Doggie Dash registration is FREE. 2018 marks our 150th anniversary! To celebrate, OHS is giving back by waiving all registration fees. But sign up early to secure your FREE registration and to give yourself time to fundraise for awesome prizes for you and your pup.
- Sign up for your preferred start time. Waves of walkers will be released in 15-minute intervals between 9 and 10 am. During registration, sign up for the time that works best for you.
Avoid the registration line and pick up your bib in advance. Pick-up locations will be announced in May. If you are picking up your bib and registering at the event, please arrive at the registration tent no later than 8:30 am.
Starting Times & Routes
Run/walk “waves” begin departure at 9 am, and the pet festival events run from 7:30 am-1 pm. Sponsor booths and demonstration areas will stretch along the park from Pine St. to the Morrison Bridge. Participants who have raised funds can pick up their thank-you prizes from 10 am-noon at the registration tent.
Run/Walk Start Times
The first wave of runners and walkers leave at 9 am. Several “waves” of walkers follow the initial wave, until the final wave leaves at 9:45 am. If you are running, you need to be in the first wave at 9 am. This is a fun run and is not timed; nor are there any official prizes for the top finishers. It’s all about enjoying the day and helping pets!
There are two courses to choose from:
Doggie Dash Classic – 1.5 miles
The 1.5 mile “Doggie Dash Classic” route begins on SW Naito Parkway near Stark St. You’ll proceed down a car-free Naito Parkway to the Salmon St. fountains, then turn north along the park’s seawall, and return south on Naito Parkway. This route is for walkers only.
Bridge to Bridge – 2.5 miles
The 2.5 mile “Bridge to Bridge” route is open to both walkers and runners (please note, this is a “fun run” and is not timed). The route uses the same starting and ending points as the 1.5 mile route, but takes Dashers over the Hawthorne Bridge, along the Eastbank Esplanade, over the Steel Bridge, and back to Waterfront Park. It’s dog-friendly and features great views of the city.
Parking & Traffic
Several SmartPark garages serve this area, and street parking is often available. View a map and info about SmartPark garages here. The garage nearest the Doggie Dash at Waterfront Park is on SE 3rd and Alder – 620 SW 3rd Ave.
Plan your trip using TriMet’s online Trip Planner, which will show the adjusted service. Be sure to change the “Travel by” box to train only. And check TriMet’s TransitTracker before you head to the event.
- Dogs allowed until 2 pm only.
- Dogs allowed on TriMet trains only, not on shuttle or regular service buses.
- Dogs must be under the owner’s control (leash or crate) at all times.
- Dogs must wear a Gentle Leader-type head collar, as well as current ID tags.
- Fares required for all human companions age seven and older.
- More info about riding buses and trains with dogs, plus TriMet contact info »
Event Rules for Dogs
- For the health and safety of all dogs and people participating in Doggie Dash, participants are asked to observe the following rules for canines attending the event with you:
- Participating dogs must be currently licensed with proof of Parvo and Rabies vaccinations. You do not need to bring proof with you; if an incident occurs, you must be able to produce proof in a reasonable amount of time.
- For safety reasons, “extend-a-leashes” will NOT be allowed. Dogs must be kept on a regular leash at all times. Leashes should be no more than six feet in length while on the course. This event gets very crowded and longer leashes can be extremely hazardous.
- Female dogs in heat are not permitted.
- Race officials reserve the right to refuse entry to any dog whose behavior could be dangerous to others. Please use good judgment regarding the temperament of your pet so that this event will be safe and enjoyable for everyone.
- Dogs younger than six months should not participate.
- Be sure you and your dog are conditioned for this event, especially if you plan to run/walk.
In addition to the walk/run, all registered Dashers can take advantage of many free activities. These include a complimentary pancake breakfast and complimentary beverage tastings for registered Dashers. Have your race bib with you to show you’re registered.
Doggie Dash Contests
List of contests coming soon!
Doggie Dash Run/Walk
Runners start at 9 am
Walkers start at 9 am, 9:15 am, 9:30 am, 9:45 am (details above)
Prize Pick Up
10 am–12:30 pm
Activities & Eats
Doggie Dash Photo Booth
Dog Utopia: Crafts and Treats for Your Pup
OHS Kids Corner – Face Painting & Kids Activities
Raffle to Benefit the Animals
Food & Beverages
Libation Station (21+ only)
More food options coming soon!
Doggie Dash Presenting Sponsors