Basic Manners Dog Training Classes
The Oregon Humane Society proudly offers three levels of positive dog training classes to meet your needs. Choose from Puppy Manners, Basic Manners or Advanced Manners depending on your dog's age and skills.
Our Training Philosophy
Our training philosophy focuses on building a strong, healthy bond between a dog and his person through positive reinforcement. We do not like to use fear or intimidation-based tactics. OHS trainers believe that reward-based techniques and education on canine behavior is the best way to promote a trusting and respectful relationship between individuals and their dogs.
- Prerequisite: Everyone must attend our Intro to Training class as part of the Puppy Manners or Basic Manners Programs.
- Your dog must be at least 4 months of age for Basic Manners.
- Your dog must be spayed or neutered. (For dogs between 4 and 6 months of age, the spay/neuter requirement is waived.)
- We require that your dog has shown no known aggression to people or animals. Aggression means biting or lunging with the intent to bite or harm.
- Your dog must be current on vaccinations including Da2pp, Rabies, and Bordatella. (Dogs between 4 & 6 months old do not have to be vaccinated for Rabies.)
What will my dog and I learn in Basic Manners Classes?
- We will help you teach your dog basic commands like “sit”, “down”, “stay”, and the basics of loose-leash walking.
- We also help your dog learn to take treats and toys nicely.
- How to get your dog to focus on you.
- How to come when called.
- We use real life scenarios so the skills you learn in class transfer easily to your home and life.
Want to further your dog's education? Or try out new class styles, like Agility or Rally Obedience? Or does your dog just need more work on the basics, with the help of an off-leash control class? To begin this track you must have either attended our basic program, or obtain instructor approval. For more information, feel free to email us. Once in our advanced program, attend classes based on your topic preference. You will have the choice of attending any of our bi-weekly Advanced Manners classes or drop in on any of our Basic Manners classes to brush up on your skill set.
Canine Good Citizen Testing
People and their dogs often take our Basic Manners classes in order to prepare for the Canine Good Citizen Test. Please note, we offer CGC testing only for our Basic Manners students. We are unable to offer this service to folks who have not just recently gone through our Basic Manners program.
Intro to Training Class (prerequisite)
- Intro to Training Class will provide you with:
- valuable education regarding basic training techniques, how to set your dog up for success in the home, ways to provide essential exercise, potty-training tips, and other dog care basics.
- an overview of our positive training philosophy and methods
- realistic expectations for what you will learn in dog training class
- This class is mandatory for Basic Manners students but also available to you as a stand-alone class.
- Intro class is for people only; please do not bring dogs to class.
- You receive access to any Intro to Training class that is offered as part of your Basic Manners package. No need to sign up separately.
- Price: $15 per household as a stand-alone class.
- Intro Class is NOT required for Puppy Manners graduates!
- Please contact Jenna Kirby to get started if you have completed
our Puppy Manners program. (503) 802 - 6729.
Intro to Training Class Schedule & Location
- Price is $15 per household.
- Animal Medical Learning Center at the Oregon Humane Society (directions)
Back to Top
Basic Manners Pricing*
5-week dog training course plus Intro To Training class $150
*10% Discount for Shelter Dogs
Oregon Humane Society dogs and dogs from other local shelters are entitled to a 10% discount.
To Register for Basic Manners
The first step to get started in the Basic Manners program is to take our prerequisite Intro to Training class. Click on a date below to register now!
Saturday, December 17th, 5 - 6 pm
Intro Class is NOT required for Puppy Manners graduates!
Please contact Jenna Kirby to get started if you have completed our Puppy Manners program. (503) 802 - 6729.
Back to Top
Oregon Humane Society Training and Behavior Department
PO BOX 11364
1067 NE Columbia Blvd.
Portland, OR 97211
(503) 285 - 7722 x. 225
< Back to list of class offerings