What OHS Does
OHS is the largest and oldest humane society in the Northwest, and the third-oldest in the United States. Our mission is to find homes for animals that are neglected, abused and abandoned; to fight animal cruelty; to end pet overpopulation and to teach humane values to youths.
Our shelter, located in Portland, finds homes for more pets each year than any other single facility on the West Coast. Although we are located in Portland, we assist dozens of shelters each each year throughout Oregon, Washington and California.
We rely entirely on private donations to help provide the following services:
- Finding homes for 11,000 animals each year
- Accepting nearly 4,000 pets each year from other shelters throughout the region
- Never putting a time limit on how long a pet stays available for adoption
- Providing more than 1,000 emergency and other needed surgeries for shelter pets each year
- Performing more than 5,000 free or low-cost spay/neuter surgeries annually for pets owned by low-income families
- Investigating approximately 1,000 animal cruelty cases each year
To learn more about our many programs and services, visit the main OHS website.